Currently, McClellan school population is approximately 433 students, with a professional staff of 38 educators which includes 18 classroom teachers, 2 special education teachers, 2 tutorial reading teachers, 3 para-professionals, 3 PCAs, and 1 physical education teacher. The librarian, art teacher, music teacher, an additional PE teacher, 2 instrumental lessons teachers, gifted teacher, social worker and speech therapist are shared with the other schools.
The teaching, administrative and support staff at McClellan Elementary take great pride in the accomplishments of the students who attend McClellan. This is evident in the strong academic performance on both State and local assessments, the strong sense of accomplishment in community effort and the overwhelming sense of "family" exhibited throughout the daily interactions of the students.
McClellan Elementary School was opened for occupancy January 3, 1956. At that time there were 165 students, enrolled in grades 1 to 6 with a teaching staff of 5 teachers . Special features of the school included: "a kitchen, all purpose room, sinks, water fountains, acoustical ceilings, automatic emergency lighting, automatic combination gas-oil fired boilers, tile walls, terrazzo floors, green chalkboards, fluorescent lighting and modern safeguards against the danger of fire and panic." McClellan was built on a plot of land that was approximately nine acres. The school was constructed to permit additional rooms to be built when necessary. In 1958, an annex was added to McClellan to accommodate the growing school population. The school population continued to grow and in 1968 the school population reached 660 students. Thus, a second renovation was completed in 1981-1982 and a third renovation was completed 2002. We now have a full-sized gymnasium, and all classrooms are updated with the latest technologies including interactive white boards and Chromebooks. We also have technology that can travel from room to room on carts; including iPads, Kindles, and laptops.
McClellan Elementary School has a very active PTA, which was started in 1957. Monies raised from PTA dues go directly to provide educational activities for the children in the school. Some of these activities include monthly assemblies and special activities. The PTA has also partnered with the Aviary to be one of the first schools in the area to be a host site for their Neighborhood Nestwatch program.
Over the course of its history as a school, McClellan Elementary has hosted Astronauts from NASA, been visited by famous authors Patricia Polacco and Robert Munch, hosted visits from Senators and Representatives of both the State and Federal government, and a gold-medal Olympian. The children at McClellan Elementary have developed a rich sense of community, partnering with the American Heart Association, numerous Autism Awareness groups, ALS foundation, and conducted numerous clothing drives for the needy families in our area.